Updated: Oct 9, 2022
This curry is prepared with black chickpeas and is either dry or gravy based. In Hindi, kala means “black,” and chana means “chickpea,” so kala chana translates to “black chickpea.” Also known as the Indian Black Chickpea, Bengal Gram or Desi Chickpea, kala chana is a variety that is native to the Indian subcontinent
Black chickpeas are a rich source of plant based protein, making them an excellent ingredient for growing kids, active sports players or people who need a big dose of energy.
Black Chickpeas(Kala Chana) Dry unsoaked - 250 Grams
Oil - 2 Tablespoons
Asafoetida - 1/4th Teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Onion - 1 Large
Ginger - 1 Inch
Garlic - 7-8 Cloves
Chili - 1 Large
Tomato - 1 Large
Potato - 2 Medium
Turmeric Powder - 1/4th Teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Cumin Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Red Chili Powder - Half Teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - Half Teaspoon
Salt - 2 and half Teaspoon
1) Soak the black chickpeas or kala chana first. Add water, make sure you add double or more water as the black chickpeas will soak the water and puff up exactly how the normal chickpeas does
You can soak them overnight or at least for 5-6 hours
2) Add them to the pressure cooker along with 2 medium sized potatoes, add half teaspoon of salt, it’s optional though
Black Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber so we need to make sure that they get soaked and then cooked properly.
3) Heat a pan and add oil, once the oil is hot, make sure heat is at low or medium low and then add asafoetida, cumin seeds and finely chopped onion
Sweat the onion, cook it over medium heat.
4) Once the onion is translucent, add 7-8 cloves of finely chopped garlic, 1 inch of chopped ginger and 1 large chopped green chili, cook for 2 mins over low heat
5) Add the spices- 1/3rd teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, half teaspoon of red chili powder and cook for 2 more minutes over low heat.
Once the oil starts to separate from the spices, add tomato paste, I had blended 1 large tomato, you can use finely chopped tomato or tomato puree as well
6) Add 2 teaspoons of salt, remember we added some salt while cooking the black chickpeas and potatoes too.
While the tomato is getting cooked, check the black chickpeas and potatoes - I cooked it upto 4 whistles - if needed you can go upto 5 whistles too
7) Add the cooked black chickpeas and potatoes to the pan
Mash a couple of potatoes and black chickpeas, this will thicken the gravy
8) Now add water as per the gravy you need - you can totally eat it like this, but if you want to eat it with rice, add some water
9) Add half a teaspoon of garam masala powder and cook over medium heat till it comes to a boil.
Cook for 5-7 minutes
Finally garnish it with some fresh finely chopped coriander leaves
& the Vegan Black chickpeas curry or kala chana curry is ready
Serve it with some parathas, puri, roti or rice
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: