Vegan Pav Bhaji - Indian fast food recipe consisting of a thick vegetable curry called (bhaji) served with a soft bread roll called (pav). Vegetables in the curry may commonly include potatoes, onions, carrots, chillies, peas, bell peppers and tomatoes.
Street sellers usually cook the curry on a flat griddle and serve the dish hot. A soft white bread roll is the usual accompaniment to the curry, but this does not preclude the use of other bread varieties such as chapati roti or brown bread.
The dish originated as a fast lunchtime dish for textile mill workers in Mumbai(Maharashtra).Pav bhaji was later served at restaurants throughout the city. Pav bhaji is now offered at outlets from simple hand carts to formal restaurants in India and abroad.
Oil - 1 Teaspoon
Potatoes - 3 Medium
Carrot - 1 Large
Green Peas - 100 grams
Tomatoes - 2 Medium
Beetroot - 1 Medium
Salt - 1 Teaspoon
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Butter - 2 Tablespoons
Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Onion - 1 medium
Ginger - 1 Inch
Garlic - 8 Cloves medium
Green Chili - 2 medium
Turmeric Powder - Half Teaspoon
Red Chili Powder - 2 Teaspoons
Cumin Powder - 1 and Half Teaspoons
Garam Masala Powder - half teaspoon
Bell Pepper - 1 Medium
Salt - 1 and half teaspoon
1) Heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon of oil, then add the vegetables, 3 medium roughly chopped potatoes, 1 large carrot, 100 grams of frozen green peas, 2 medium sliced tomatoes, 1 medium sliced beetroot.
2) Mix and Stir fry for 1 min and then add water so the vegetables are submerged and then add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook till the vegetables are soft and little mushy.
3) Remove the cover and check whether the vegetables are done, try to break the bigger pieces and they should break without putting any effort, then set it aside
4) Heat another pan, and add 1 teaspoon of oil followed by 2 tablespoons of vegan butter. Then add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and 1 medium finely chopped onion, sweat the onion and cook till it’s translucent
5) Once the onion is cooked, add 1 inch of grated ginger, 8 medium cloves of grated garlic, 2 medium green chilis. Cook for 2 mins over low heat
6) Add the spices, half teaspoon of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of red chili powder, 1 and half teaspoons of cumin powder, half teaspoon of garam masala powder, cook for another 2-3 mins. Spices needs to cook properly, you will notice that the oil will start to ooze out of them
7) Then add the finely chopped bell peppers and stir fry for 2-3 mins
8) At this point add the cooked vegetables and mix well, Let everything cook together for 5-6 mins
9) Add 1 and half teaspoons of salt, remember we added the salt in the beginning to the vegetables as well, although the vegan butter was unsalted. Make sure you balance the amount of salt you add to the dish.
10) Mash the vegetables till they are broken down completely. Add some water if required as the bhaji or the curry is not too thick
11) Finally a some lime juice, fresh coriander and kasuri methi(optional)
The Bhaji is ready.
For the Pav I am using the bread roll ups
1) Heat a flat pan and add Vegan butter, some fresh coriander and 1 teaspoon of bhaji to add more flavor
2) Spread it evenly on the pan and then add the bread roll ups and toast over high heat
Serve them together
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on:
Recipe Video Coming Soon!!!