Updated: Sep 11
Tofu Jalfrezi is a quick stir fry recipe which is popular throughout India and has a lot of British Influence. It is a tangy, mild and semi dry curry cooked with a mix of vegetables, savory herbs and spices.
Jalfrezi recipes appeared in cookbooks of British India as a way of using up leftovers by frying them with chili and onion.
Tofu - 500 grams
Oil - 2 Teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Onion finely chopped - half small
Garlic - 4 Cloves
Ginger - 1 Inch
Dry Red Chilies - 2
Green chili - 1
Onion thinly sliced - half small
Bell Pepper Green & Red - Half Medium
Tomato - Half Medium
Tomato Sauce - 4 Tablespoons
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - half Teaspoon
Red Chili Powder - half Teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/3rd Teaspoon
Garam Masala - half Teaspoon
Black pepper - half Teaspoon
Salt - 1 tsp or per taste
Vinegar - 1 Tablespoons
Coriander for garnish
1) Take 500 grams of Tofu, and slice it into battens.
Fry the tofu a little, we don't need to crisp the tofu just cook it a little so it holds its shape and doesn’t break while mixing with the sauce
2) To season the tofu add half teaspoon of salt followed by half teaspoon of black pepper powder. Make sure to coat the tofu well and then air fry it over 180 C for 10 mins
3) To prepare the sauce, heat a pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds. Add half finely chopped onion, stir fry it over high heat for 3-4 minutes
4) Add 1 inch of ginger julians, and 5 medium cloves of finely chopped garlic cloves. Cook for 2 mins over low heat else the garlic will burn
5) Add 2 dry red chilis and then add 1 finely chopped green chili and cook for a min. You can always reduce the quantity of chili but jalfrezi is usually a little spicy
6) Add 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce, cook over low heat for 2 minutes
Add 1 tablespoon of water. Mix it well
7) Time to add the spices. Half teaspoon of coriander powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, one third teaspoon of turmeric powder, half teaspoon of black pepper powder, half teaspoon of garam masala powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, half teaspoon of red chili powder, mix everything and cook for 2-3 mins
8) Then add half thinly sliced onion, sliced bell peppers, and mix well with the sauce till they are entirely coated. We are adding these towards the end as we need the crunch of these vegetables in the recipe, so don’t overcook the vegetables
9) Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar directly on to the pan followed by the tofu
Toss the tofu gently without breaking it. Add the finely chopped coriander leaves, and switch off the heat
And that’s it, so easy and quick and a perfect mid week recipe. This goes perfectly with some chapati, naan or even just like that.
Do try this at home and share your feedback in the comment section
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: