Chickpeas Curry with Coconut Milk Vegan Recipe
Updated: Oct 9, 2022
This Delicious Chickpeas Coconut Curry, is one Pot, creamy, freezer friendly, and flexible to flavor preference. It is packed with flavors and requires ingredients that are easy to get with most of them likely to be already in your pantry.
It is a delicious combination of chickpeas, coconut milk, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and other spices. When the dish comes together, it is wonderfully aromatic and delicious.
Oil - 1 and half Tbsp
Onion - 2 Large
Garlic - 8
Turmeric Powder - 1/3rd tsp
Cumin Powder - 2 tsps
Coriander Powder - 2 tsps
Red Chili Powder - Half tsp
Salt - 2 tsps
Tomatoes - 3 medium
Chickpeas boiled - 800g (dried - 350g)
Coconut Milk by Ducoco- 200 ml
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Water - 175 ml
1) Heat a pan and then add oil, then add cumin seeds, once the seeds start to crackle add finely chopped onion & cook till they are slightly translucent
You can cook them over medium or high heat, make sure to stir them occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
2) Once the onion turns slightly golden, add finely chopped garlic and cook for 2-3 mins over low heat or till the raw smell of the garlic goes away
3) Then add the spices - Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder & red chili powder and cook over low heat. Ensure that the heat is at low because the spices can get burnt easily
4) After 2-3 minutes you will notice that the oil will start to ooze out of the onion and spices. Add the blend of tomatoes followed by salt. You can use tomato puree too, cook till the oil starts to separate.
5) Add the boiled chickpeas and let it cook for 2-3 mins,
Tip - Soak the Chickpeas overnight in enough water to cover them by 3 inches to rehydrate them. Once soaked and puffed up, remove any impurities or grit that may have floated to the surface of the soaking water and drain. Then boil them.
Or you can also used the canned chickpeas - which are usually already boiled
6) Add the coconut milk- I am using a low fat coconut milk, but you can use a creamy one too. Add some water to the curry
7) Let the curry come to a boil, then add garam masala powder & garnish using fresh coriander leaves
Serve the curry with chapati or steamed rice.
Do try this delicious recipe at home and share it with your friends and family. Don't forget to watch the video too :)
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
New Vegan Online Cooking Course, Register Here also don't forget to grab the FREE VEGAN Recipe GUIDE HERE
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: