Updated: Sep 11
This delicious Indian Spinach recipe is incredibly easy to make and is one of my absolute favourites. It is the Vegan version of Palak Paneer, Palak means Spinach in hindi and Paneer means cottage cheese. We are replacing the cottage cheese with Tofu and creame with cashew cream.
Spinach - 350 grams
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds - Half Teaspoons
Onion - 1 Medium
Garlic Cloves - 5
Ginger - 1 Inch
Turmeric Powder - Half Teaspoon
Coriander Powder - Half Teaspoon
Red Chili Powder - Half Teaspoon
Cumin Powder -1 Teaspoon
Tomato - 1 Large
Salt - 2 Teaspoons
Tofu - 200 Grams
Cashews - 6-7 ( cashew paste - 3 tablespoons)
Plant Based Milk ( Soy) - 50 ml
Garam Masala Powder - Half Teaspoon
1. Blanch the spinach. Wash the spinach as thoroughly as possible to get rid of any sand in it.
2. Heat water in a pan and once it starts to boil, add the spinach leaves to it, Blanching is a cooking process in which a food, usually the vegetable is scalded in boiling water, and then removed after a brief, timed interval, and finally placed under cold running water to halt the cooking process. Blanching foods helps reduce quality loss over time.
3. Cook for 3-4 minutes maximum
4. Once spinach is cooked, place it under cold water and set it aside
Cook the other ingredients for the curry
5. Heat a pan, and add 1 tablespoon of oil, then add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them crackle
6. Then add 1 medium roughly chopped onion, since we are going to blend everything towards the end, you can roughly chop the the ingredients
7. Stir fry the onion over medium or high heat, and cook till it’s translucent, then add 5 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger, cook them over low heat for 2-3 minutes
8. Time to add the spices, add half teaspoon of turmeric powder, half teaspoon of coriander powder, half teaspoon of red chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
9. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes
10. Once the spices are completely cooked, add 1 large tomato roughly chopped followed by half teaspoon of salt.
11. Cook till tomato turns soft
12. Cover and cook for 2 minutes
13. Remove the cover and check the progress
14. Once the tomatoes are soft, turn off the heat and set it aside to cool down
15. Take 200 grams of tofu, add 1 teaspoon of salt and marinate.
16. You can add pepper or red chili powder as well to marinate the too.
17. Take 100 grams of pre soaked cashews to prepare the cashew paste by grinding it with 150 ml of plant based milk - We are using 3 tablespoons of cashew paste
18. Once everything is at room temperature, add the blanched spinach to the blender, followed by cooked vegetables, and blend everything
19. Heat a pan, add the blended paste to it, make sure that the heat is set to low
20. Don't cook this for more than 5-7 minutes as the color will change and you won’t get bright green colorful curry
21. Add the tofu cubes to the curry, mix everything.
22. Add 3 tablespoons of cashew paste, you can keep the remaining paste for other recipes or for garnishing later
23. Add half teaspoon of garam masala powder and 1 and half teaspoon of salt or salt as per taste. Give it a mix
24. Mix and switch off the heat
The Palak Tofu curry is ready, you can serve it with some pulav, fried rice, chapati or naan
You can also find the written recipe on my website foodotomic.com
Do try this at home and share your feedback in the comment section
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: