Vegan Dumplings (Sesame Seed Style) from scratch AKA Momos
Updated: Oct 9, 2022
Momo is a type of dumpling originally from Tibet which is prominently found in the cuisines of Tibet and Nepal, as well as in the Indian states of Ladakh and Sikkim. It has evolved and spread to many countries who have adapted it and modified it as per their preference.
We are preparing these Vegan Dumplings with a twist of sesame seeds
For the struffing
Oil - 2 tsps
Onion - 1 small
Ginger - ½ Inch
Garlic - 6
Chilis - 2
Mushrooms - 150g
Cabbage - 230g
Carrot - 1 medium
Spring Onion Greens
Salt - 1 tsp
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
For the Dough
All Purpose Flour - 250g
Salt - ½ tsp
Oil - 1 Tsp
Water - 175 ml
Dry Flour, water and sesame seeds as required
Oil for cooking - approx 2 tsps
1) To prepare the stuffing, heat a pan and add oil, then add finely chopped onion,
Cook the onion till it’s slightly translucent.
2)Add grated ginger, garlic and chopped chilis. Make sure that the heat is set to low and cook them for 2 minutes
3) Add roughly chopped mushrooms to the pan and cook till they are well done. Mushrooms tend to release water, so it cooks really easily. You will see that the mushroom will significantly shrink in size.
4) Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the finely chopped or grated cabbage and carrot. Try to chop the vegetables as finely as possible for the dumpling stuffing.
5) Cook till the moisture is gone. You can add some corn starch to the stuffing which will help to keep the moisture together and make the stuffing less watery but it's optional.
6) Finally add spring onion greens, salt, soy sauce, black pepper and cook for another 2 mins and then switch off the heat.
7) Transfer the stuffing mixture from the cooking pan, and spread it over a flatter plate so it cools down and the steam goes out easily.
8) To a bowl, add all purpose flour, salt, oil and water. Mix everything and start kneading the dough
9) Knead the dough a little tight
10) Once the dough is ready, tuck it from outside to inside. Add it to a bowl, add oil to cover the dough lightly, then cover it with a damp towel and let it rest for 20-30 mins
11) After 30 mins, add dry flour to a plane surface, roll out the dough as thin as possible and cut out multiple circular shapes out of it.
Towards the end we need thin circular dumpling wrapping sheets. You can do it any any way you like, make smaller dough balls and then roll them out thinly.
12) Roll out the dough thin as per the size of the dumplings or momos required.
13) Then add the stuffing to the dumpling wrapper. Fill it nicely, otherwise the dumplings will feel empty while eating. Good amount of stuffing is the key.
14) We are going to shape the dumplings like a triangle. Add water on the edge to seal them.
You can give the dumplings any shape you like
Make sure you seal the layers well.
15) Take the dumpling and dip the bottom part of the dumpling slightly in water, then place it on top of the sesame seeds, and repeat the same for the rest of dumplings
16) This step is optional but try it once as it will enhance the normal dumpling experience
17) Cooking the dumplings is actually a very quick process
Heat a pan, add oil and brush it evenly. Add the dumplings to it followed by water.
18)Cover & Cook it over high heat for 4-5 mins( I have the heat set to 160 C)
The Vegan Dumplings with the sesame seed twists are ready. Serve them with soy sauce or spicy tomato dip
Do try this delicious recipe at home and share it with your friends and family. Don't forget to watch the video too :)
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
New Vegan Online Cooking Course, Register Here also don't forget to grab the FREE VEGAN Recipe GUIDE HERE
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: