Updated: Oct 9, 2022
Aloo Matar is a Punjabi dish from the Indian subcontinent which is made from Potatoes and Peas in a spiced tomato based sauce. The sauce is generally cooked with garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin seeds and other spices.
Aloo matar” means “Potato & Peas”, where aloo translates to potato and matar to peas. So “aloo matar” is a “curried dish of potatoes and peas.
Oil - 1 and half tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
Asafoetida - ¼ Tsp
Onion - 1 Medium
Ginger - 1 Inch
Garlic - 6 Cloves
Turmeric Powder - ¼ Tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 and half Tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 Tsp
Potato - 2 Medium
Green Peas - 150 Grams
Salt - 2 Tsp
Tomato - 1 Large
Water - 400 ml or 1 and Half Cups
1) For this recipe take 2 medium potatoes, peel off the skin and slice it into medium sized pieces. Not too small and not too big.
2) Then heat a pan and add 1 and half teaspoon of oil, add 1/4th teaspoon of asafoetida which is also known as Hing in Hindi, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, wait for them to crackle, then add 1 medium finely chopped onion and cook over medium till the onion becomes translucent or slightly golden
3) Switch the heat to low and add 1 inch of chopped ginger and 6 cloves of finely chopped garlic, cook over low heat for 2 mins.
4) Time to add the spices - 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 and half teaspoon of Cumin Powder, you can also add red chili powder and some pepper, if you like
5) After 2-3 mins, add 1 large tomato( I have just blended it in a juicer), followed by 1 and a half teaspoons of salt. You can use readymade tomato puree too. It will bring great color to the recipe.
6) Let it cook till the oil separates, you can cook over high heat.
7) Once the oil starts to ooze out, add the chopped potatoes followed by frozen green peas, cook for a minute and then add water as per the curry you need, I have added around 400 ml of water which is roughly around 1 and half cups.
Mix it well and then cover and cook for 20-25 mins over medium heat or till the potatoes are cooked
8) After that remove the cover and check if the potato is cooked completely and can be broken easily.
9) Add chopped coriander leaves and mix. Let it cook without the cover for another 5-7 minutes
10) The Aloo Matar Curry is ready, serve it with some chapati, steamed rice or naan. It is a perfect lunch or dinner recipe
Do try this at home and share your feedback in the comment section
I have an announcement for you guys, I am launching the Beta Version of my Online Cooking course and the registration is now OPEN!!!
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: