Updated: Oct 9, 2022
A popular tofu recipe prepared from marinating tofu cubes and vegetables with spices and chickpeas flour. These are a perfect appetizer for parties and so quick to prepare.
Ingredients for the recipe
Tofu - 500 Grams
Salt - 1 Teaspoon
Red Bell Pepper - 1 Medium
Green Bell Pepper - 1 Medium
Onion - 1 Medium
Ingredients for the Batter
Chickpeas Flour - 7 tablespoons approx. 65 grams
Grated Ginger Garlic - 1 Tablespoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/4th Teaspoon
Red Chili Powder - Half Teaspoon
Cumin Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - Half Teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - Half Teaspoon
Salt - 1 Teaspoon
Mustard Oil - 2 Teaspoons
Juice of half Lime
Water as needed
Mustard Oil for cooking
Steps to prepare
1. Take 500 grams of medium firm tofu. Try not to take soft tofu for this recipe as it will disintegrate in the process and won’t hold up in the skewers.
2. Slice the tofu in cubes or in a size where it's good enough to balance evenly once we insert it in the skewers.
3. Always season the tofu, even though we are going to marinate it later. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, so it can be absorbed by the tofu, which will help it to release excess water. It will make the tofu more firm and it won't break during the cooking process.
4. Take some vegetables like bell peppers and onion and slice them the same way we did with tofu.
Preparing the Marinade
5. Heat a pan at low heat and add chickpeas flour or gram flour. I am using 7 tablespoons of Chickpeas flour which is approximately 65 grams. Roast the flour for 4-5 minutes over low heat. You won’t see a color change but you will get this amazing cooked aroma from it.
6. Transfer the flour to another pan, then add 1 tablespoon of grated ginger garlic, 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder, half teaspoon of red chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, half teaspoon of garam masala powder, half teaspoon of black pepper powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of mustard oil, juice of half a lime and water gradually to prepare a thick batter. We need a thick batter so it coats the tofu and vegetables well.
7. Add tofu and vegetables to the batter, coat them well
8. Once all the vegetables are coated, let them marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes
Note : If you are cooking this on a BBQ or on an open fire make sure to dip the wooden sticks at least for 2 hours in water so they don’t burn.
Assembling the Skewers
9. Always add the Vegetables like capsicum towards the end as they work as an anchor and the tofu won’t slip out. Also add the vegetables to the skewer from the inside section as it’s easier and the vegetable won’t break.
10. Once all the skewers are assembled, start the cooking process
11. Heat a pan and add mustard oil, heat it to the point where it starts to smoke. You can cook them in an oven or BBQ as well.
12. Let it cook on one side for a min of 2 minutes, if you turn it too quickly the batter might get stuck on the pan. Give it time to cook properly before turning
13. Cook from all the sides and then serve with some bread or chutney
The Tofu Tikka Skewers is not just the perfect vegan appetizer but can be turned into a meal too.
Just add it to a wrap with some arugula leaves and green chutney and serve
Do try this at home and share your feedback in the comment section
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on: