Updated: Oct 9, 2022
Today we are preparing one of the most famous Indian curries Korma. Korma or qorma is a dish originating in the Indian subcontinent, consisting of vegetables along with spice paste, coconut and cashews, to produce a thick sauce or gravy.
So Let’s get started
Oil - 2 Tablespoons
Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Asafetida - 1 or 2 pinch
Onion - 1 Medium
Garlic - 3 Medium
Ginger - 1 Inch
Turmeric Powder - Half Teaspoon
Tomato - 1 Medium
Salt - 2-3 Teaspoons or as per taste
Potato - 1 Medium
Cauliflower - Half Small
Carrot - 1 Medium
Green Peas - Half Bowl
Water as needed
Coriander Leaves - Finely chopped
Desiccated Coconut Powder - 60 Grams
Chili - 1
Coriander Seeds - 2 teaspoons
Fennel Seeds - 2 Teaspoons
Coriander Leaves - 20 grams
Soaked Cashews - 100 grams
Water as needed
Step 1 :
Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil. I am using sunflower oil for this recipe.
Make sure the heat is at medium, and once the oil is hot
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds,
- A pinch or two of asafetida which is also known as hing in Hindi
- 1 medium finely chopped onion, stir fry the onion and let it cook till it turns slightly golden brown,
- Finely chopped 3 medium cloves of garlic and 1 inch of grated or finely chopped ginger, you can also replace these with 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste.
Turn the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes
- Add half teaspoon of turmeric powder and cook for a minute
Turmeric is such a miracle spice, it has powerful anti inflammatory effects and even helps prevent so many diseases.
- 1 medium finely chopped tomato, you can also use tomato puree if you like.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and give it a mix.
Remember that there are so many different ways vegetable Korma can be prepared, the recipe changes from south India to North India and even from one region to another.
You will find that in most of the recipes, all the vegetables are cooked together in a separate pot and then mixed with the spices later.
- Add 1 medium potato. We are going to cook this over medium heat for 5 minutes,
The cooking time for all the vegetables are different so I prefer to add them to the pan at different intervals so they don’t get overcooked and then cook them along with the spices so the spices infuse within the vegetables, that way the curry turns out beautiful.
- Add chopped cauliflower and carrots, cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Finally add the peas, mix everything and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add some water so the vegetables are slightly submerged, this will be also the gravy portion so add as per your requirement. Now cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat
Step 2 : Spice Paste
To the blender, Add
- 1 bowl of desiccated coconut powder(around 60 grams),
- 1 Chili( optional),
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds,
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds,
- Coriander leaves( a few strands),
- 100 grams of soaked cashews
- Some water to make the paste.
Blend it into a smooth paste.
Remove the cover and give a quick mix
- Add the paste to the pan, mix everything.
After adding the paste, check the thickness of the curry at this point. I would recommend to add additional water in case it’s too thick
- Cook the vegetables by covering them for 5-7 minutes.
- Adjust the salt to the curry, add 1 or 1 and half teaspoons of salt as per taste.
Cover & cook
- After 7 minutes check the curry and see if the thickness is as per your liking. Also check if all the vegetables are cooked evenly.
- Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes,
Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
The Vegan Korma is ready, you can prepare this recipe with so many different alterations with different spices, different vegetables.
- You can serve this with rice or any Indian Bread of your choice like, naan, chapati, paratha etc.
It’s a simple yet authentic Indian recipe which will fill your home with aroma and great flavors.
PIN this recipe
You can also follow me on:
Watch the recipe video below: